New Holland--Results

awards going on NOW... Field of 70!.

Heres our members walks. They are coming in fast.. sorry if I mistype or miss someone.

Smokeindaeye took 1st in Sausage(5th catagory),

SmokeinDaeye took 2nd in Chicken.

Smokin Gnome and Butthead also walked in sausage. (Im waiting on the positions.)

Lost nation 10th in Ribs

Militant Squatter, 6th in Ribs.

Militant Squatter. 8th place pork.

Militant Squatter. 9th place Brisket.

Kirk 14th place Brisket.

Yankee BBQ 3rd pork

Yankee BBQ 10 in brisket

Lost nation 4th in Brisket.

Lost nation 1st in Pork.

midnight smokers GC
jacks down home reserve
who are those guys 3rd
tar heel smokers.
lost nation 5th
double DD 6th
bbq guru 7th
team agave 8th (YankeeBBQ)
shendoah 1 crew 9th
phillipy pigs 10th.

Smokeindaeye 12th
Militant squatter. 15th.

more on the way. Im on the phone, will keep editing this post.

Oh... BTW.....

In an attempt to ensure 13th place, Sledneck sound a unique way of cooking chicken. Contrary to popular belief, sauce DOES NOT cover a multiple of sins. :eek:

They are requesting an additional scoring entry for taste/texture/grittiness. :mrgreen:

Pass it on.

IM sure someone wil get official results. these were jotted down quick while on the phone. congrats to all!!

Clint, good thing you were next to Jack McDavid. Looks like he taught you something about chicken and sausage.:twisted: Congrats on all the Brethren walks.

Guy, I took a ride up to New Holland. I know you wish you were there, but it was pretty hot.

Ron,

I heard it was very hot. Even with the heat there is nobody wishing harder they were there than I. Well, family comes first and I am happy to hear that my Brethren family did well today.

Hey Guys,

I'm back !! Once again, an excellent contest. Sledneck and son Steven, were great honorary Bad Bones Team members. Excellent work ethic and Sledneck was a huge help in making critical decisions.

As you saw by the results, I placed top 10 in three categories but managed to end up 15th...That's because our chicken came in a dismal 70th !!!

Normally I'd be very dissappointed, but there is a great story to this that had me smiling from ear to ear. Sledneck, as you all know is a master of 13th place chicken, so I was counting on his expertise. Chicken needed to have the temps pumped up a bit higher based on time so we decided to move to the kettle to finish off with sauce. I was in the middle of making the sausage box, and Sledneck went to take out the rack in the Spicewine...

Problem is he did not remeber that the Spicewine racks are popout racks from the frame during an attempt to removes the rack and readjust his hand positioning.. :shock:

So... approx 20+ pcs of chicken came crashing to the floor right in front of the firebox door. (Guess what's usually in front of a firebox after cooking all night !!) A handful did not hit the floor and some others had to be salvaged that ended up on top of others.( I will not give counts here to protect us) :icon_blush:

We managed to get them on a hot grill to sanitize.. I mean crisp the skin. and gave them a good saucing.. Needless to say we realized SAUCE DOES NOT COVER A MULTITUDE OF SINS !!

We managed to make a halfway decent box from appearance working with some of the smallest pcs in addition to a few of the largest (and not as well cooked).

Taste issues speak for themselves and tenderness was just not there do to the loss of time dealing with the mishap for the larger pieces, scrambling to pick them up, find gloves or tongs etc.

Sledneck was a bit down when during the awards especially when after no calls for chicken he heard me get calls for all other categories.

This mishap made the event extremely memorable and I was glad I got to experience it with a friend who did everything else right cooking with me. I will also give Sledneck a ton of credit for helping me with my 6th place ribs which was always my weekest category in terms of placings. Some adjustments during rib selection and box layout by his recommendations were spot on.

So, three Top 10 calls as the largest, best contest in the NE is fine by me. I got to spend it with several brethren I know and a few others I met.

Last edited:
Oh... BTW.....

In an attempt to ensure 13th place, Sledneck sound a unique way of cooking chicken. Contrary to popular belief, sauce DOES NOT cover a multiple of sins. :eek:

They are requesting an additional scoring entry for taste/texture/grittiness. :mrgreen:

Pass it on.

!!

Ummmmmmmm IM A REAL ASH-HOLE!` I still feel really bad about this. I was at new holland cooking with Vinnie. I went to pull the tray out of the spicewine with ALL of the chicken on it and i didnt know that the tray was 2 pieces. As i reached underneath it to hold it the frame dropped down and startind sizzling on my arm so i dropped the whole damn thing. All of the chicken exceot for a few pieces landed on the ground. :eek: Mr cutllets is wrong cause sauce doesn not cover a multitiude of sins. 70th place chicken needless to say a 13th place would of been awesome. It pulled vinnies overal from a top 5 to 15th overall and i feel like total chit. I know i will never live this down and to vinnie i am truly sorry. Vinnie being the great guy he is didnt act mad at all when he really should of punched me in the mouth. Other than that the contest was awesome. Great to meet some other brethren and see the ones i know. ANd congrats to all that walked. I will go and bow my head in shame now

not the chicken !!!!!

if there is one thing vinny should know................. sledneck and chicken dont mix!! congradulations to all, and good memories are better than plastic trophies anyday !!!

I think this is all a ploy to redirect attention AWAY from 13th place. :wink: :biggrin:

I learned this past weekend at ribfest, chit happens. All u can do is laugh it off and not beat yourself up. woulda,coulda, shoulda.... does nothing... but laughing it off makes sure ya had fun. We came in DAL in brisket, but had one of the best belly laughs doing it.

Now ya get to use a Spicewine rack as a frame for your next 13th place chicken.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

You do the best you can on any given day, and what happens will happen. Glad you guys had a good time, because at the end of the day that's what counts.

It was also very exciting to watch SIDE's reaction to getting called for 1st place Sausage and 2nd Place Chicken. His reaction was genuine shock and almost disbelief (which shouldn't be becuase he knows how to cook really good). The best part was, his mom and dad were right beside him and they were very proud Clint too.

A few other notable moments

1) watching SIDE getting schooled all evening by Jack McDavid

Ex. of conversation

JM : "Boy.. why you put that on your brisket ? "
SIDE " I don't know sir.
JM : You'd better start over son..
SIDE : Yes Sir.

2) Seeing Dave Klose over at Rich Decker's tent. Next thing I know I got Poobah talking to Dave Klose on my cell phone and Dave Klose starts talking farking Japanese into my phone and I have no idea what's happening. After Poobah and Dave talk, Dave starting talking to me just about everything until I had to get my pit lit up. Then Dave took a walk with Sledneck and his son to the Kid's Q awards. Dave Klose ends up shaking little Steven's hands with some really freakly handshake like he was a member of a gang or something. Dave talked to us about police, fireman, cooking for the Mafia after learning I was born in Brooklyn, Presidents, Phil's inability to catch fish in TX, Phil's attempts to give Dave used laptops that ended up going to Miss Texas. etc.

A

What a great contest! Despite driving by myself and getting horribly lost driving down there. I need a navigation system!

Extremely well run event and friendly people, plus getting to say hi to so many friends. Will have pictures of the new official Ash Hole "Secret Sauce" banner tomorrow.:twisted:

Oh, and the awards were an amazing shock. As my third KCBS contest, my only "goal" was to get a call in my first non-grilling category (which seemed possible since they gave awards up to 15th place). I actually had to look at the awards for chicken to see what I had placed!

And Jack was a great neighbor (even though he said my chicken was trimmed wrong, overcooked, and rubbery :biggrin: ).

Oh, and congrats again to Vinny, Smokin Gnomes, Lo & Slow, Kirk, Team Agave, Lost Nation and all of the others who kept the flow of Brethren to the stage going!

Congrat's to everyone!! Nice showing and sounds like it was a great time.
As far as the "chickengrate incident"and the ensuing coverup.......chit happpens, had a similar experience a while back we like to call "rib salad". Took a while, but now we laugh our ash-holes off about it...:mrgreen:

Congrats guys!!!! sounds like you had a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back