View Single Post
Unread 07-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
Teh only true way to prevent this is cooking all ground meat to well done. I thinkn there are some rules I observe that might help...first, any pre-made patties, regardless of where I get them get cooked to med-well. Just a rule I have as I have no idea where they came from or what their life was like before I met them. After that is fresh ground from the butcher/market I'll be more lenient with, as well as if I ground them myself. I guess it comes down to my comfort with knowing where the meat was and how it was handled. But again the only true way is to burn the heck out of them. Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe View Post
The only way I think it can be safe to eat rare burger is to grind it yourself.
If you have ever been in a beef processing plant...............
Well let's just say you probably wouldn't eat beef for a very long time.

Suffice it to say all ground meat needs to be cooked thoroughly.
Guys, Because I like medium rare burgers, I used to think the same thing myself. That fresh ground meat was safer than store-bought ground beef....and you could enjoy it cooked less done, with less risk. But that is wrong. I had posted that sort of information on my cookin' site and would mention it in forum posts from time-to-time. Several very knowledgeable folks explained otherwise (Including Dr BBQ, who also admitted to eating his burgers more to the rare side) It boils down to the fact that any baddies on the surface of meat are destroyed when the muscle is cooked whole, but when ground (and no matter who grinds it) the surface meat, along with any baddies, is mixed into the remainder of the meat.

I would have to agree with Joe in that bad cutting room practices can worsen the conditions we are talking about, so that gives a slight edge to home ground meats. So.....Regardless of our personal levels of doneness (or threshold of risk), the final advice that "should" be given and "should" be followed, is exactly what both of you mentioned in the last lines of your post. Good job.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote