View Single Post
Unread 07-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #337
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottles 'n Bones BBQ View Post
I'm in...put me down for at least one!!!

Hey Thirdeye, speaking of...What MIG welder would you suggest for the small home shop? Just for tinkering around the shop. Surely nothing ever over 1/4", I don't imagine...
I've been a welding inspector for 31 years and MIG (hard wire and flux-core) is definitely where it's at for the workshop as far as ease of use, skill level, thin materials etc. I'm sort of old school because 4 or 5 years ago when I got a new machine for my workbench I went with a 150 amp stick/TIG unit. Stick for the variety of filler options and being able to use it just about anywhere, sometimes without the perfect weld prep. TIG, because I have always admired the men that have mastered it. I will have a MIG welder someday....

Anyway back to your question. I don't know what your budget is but I like Miller. I used to not like their beer or their welders, now I drink Lite and own a Maxstar. For you, the Millermatic line may be something to look at to compare features. The 140 even has Auto-Set. Remember you will need a bottle of gas, a hood and some accessories. I've played with them at a couple of welding demo's, they are nice.

You really need to try some on for size. There are some Lincoln machines at home centers that have similar features to the Miller. Some welding dealers have demo machines so you can get some trigger time before buying.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote