View Single Post
Unread 06-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #40
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I really like this organic wild rice blend that I get in the bulk food section of the health market at my local Hy-Vee (grocery store). It's actually a blend of five different kinds of non-processed rice including Minnesota wild rice, sushi rice, long grain white rice, basmati and . . . and . . . I can't remember the fifth one right off the bat. It's very colorful.

I bring to a boil twice as much water as the amount of rice I'm cooking. This is usually 1.5 cups water for .75 cup of rice.

While I'm waiting for the water to boil, I chop up a couple carrots and some broccoli. I set aside the florets for later. Once the water is boiling I dump in the wild rice blend and bring the temperature down to simmer range. I put the carrots and broccoli on top of the rice and let it all simmer, covered, for 50 minutes while I go back to work at my desk.

At 50 minutes, I open the lid and add the florets to the top of the mostly finished rice and cook it, still covered, for ten more minutes so those florets can get steamed. They turn just a beautiful shade of dark green!

Once that's done I transfer it all to a bowl where I add some Eden Soy Shoyu Sauce (I think shoyu soy sauce is heaven on earth!) some Zatarain's Creole seasoning, some course ground black pepper and a bit of ginger if I'm feeling adventurous. (Side note: I do drink A LOT of water each day to flush out all that sodium.)

Modifications include adding a can of soup instead of the veggies - cream of mushroom tastes great with this - and of course crumbled up fatties, chopped smoked sausages, etc.

I eat this almost every day at work for lunch - but I've been bad lately. Eating a lot of fast food crud . . . need to get back on the healthy food wagon.

But that's how I enjoy cooking rice, for what it's worth.

( Man, that is one UGLY dog, Hiloboy! :-) )
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote