View Single Post
Unread 06-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #16
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIX View Post
I know this is an old thread off the road map but I am doing a butt this coming weekend on a weber kettle, I don't think I will be able to keep the temps down around 225-250, I am guessing more like 300+. The rule seems to be 1-1.5 hours per lb at the lower temps, what kind of time per lb can I expect if my kettle holds at around 300? Thanks for the great info guys. RIX
If you do it hot your gonna have to go by feel or temp probe. The same rules still apply though. Get that 1.5 hours per pound out of your head. If this is your first one then you can use that rule as a very rough and I mean very rough time estimate but the thing is done when it's done. At high heat 300-325 remove the fat cap, rub her down with little sugar in your rub and cook it. Every 20 minutes to half hour flip it and rotate the meat. When it starts to look nice and crusty or at 160 internal wrap it in foil with a little apple juice and still flip it every half hour. Your butt should be done in 4 hours at 325. You have to feel your meat. Press it with your fingers..does it feel mushy like a rare steak? If it does then your done, or when it hits 200-205.
FEC100 / GMG Jim Bowie (Dealer)/ Sams Club Gasser / King Cooker Hot Tub

Last edited by Mooner; 06-21-2007 at 10:18 AM..
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->