View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Okie Sawbones
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonSmoke View Post
I agree that the ones on the bottom could use a little more sauce. When I judge, I pretty much give 8s and 9s on appearance as any experienced BBQ team should be able to produce good looking BBQ. Occasional mark down for sloppy sauce or something else. Judges are instructed not to mark down for sauce on the lid or judge garnish.

You might be taking a chance by turning in something out of the ordinary. I turned in the chicken below last week and received 9, 7, 9, 6, 9, 9 for appearance. I have to think the inconsistencies may be because they are drumsticks and not thighs. I'm not saying they deserved 9s either, maybe some judges marked me up because they like drumsticks. I just find it hard to believe two people could have such a different opinion on something as simple as appearance. Missed walking by 0.04 on this entry.

Edit: Maybe I would have scored better if I hadn't turned them in sideways.
No way those deserved a 6 or 7, for crying out loud.
Cooking BBQ since 1971, seriously cooking BBQ since 1996, when I read Smoke and Spice.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->