View Single Post
Unread 04-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I have been brining a brisket for the last 5 days. The TQ reciept call for 5 days per inch. Today was day 5 and I thought it would be ready, was gonna vac seal the flat, but it was a little cumbersom so I cut off a hunk. To my surprise it was almost complete, but still about a 1/2 inch in the center not cured. I measured the cut and it was just shy of 2 inches. Back in the cure. My question to anyone who has experience or knowledge in this, can I over cure this thing? Should I let it go five more days, this is a wet brine. I dont know if you can see the very center cut of the meat but it is a different color. A few pictures showing the progress.

Is it true that smoked corned beef is pastraime? If so, can you cold smoke the pastraime and then finish it in the pit. A friend in the CBBQA has lent me a cold smoker attachment for my 075 and ask if I woud do some testing for him.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/
I have a 075 and I have brined my brisket for five days using TQ and then put it on the 075 on medium for about 6 hours or until it hits a internal temp of 165 and had the best pastrami you would ever hope to have. I dont think you can over cure it, just remember if your shooting for pastrami let that bad boy soak for at least an hour in cold water before smoking or your just going to have smoked corned beef!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote