Discussion Thread -> "Tortillas!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread)

Please accept this as my entry.

Pulled pork enchiladas, Oaxacan-style

Cook thread can be seen here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3619715#post3619715

IMG_3015.JPG

Please accept this as my entry in the Tortilla Throwdown.

The cook thread can be found here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3617851#post3617851

This is a great cook, Alan! After seeing your cook thread, I need to ask. Was any of this cooked outside? It looks like it may have been cooked on the stove? According to TD rules -

5. Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

If this was prepared indoors, you still have time to make another dish!

This is a great cook, Alan! After seeing your cook thread, I need to ask. Was any of this cooked outside? It looks like it may have been cooked on the stove? According to TD rules -

5. Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

If this was prepared indoors, you still have time to make another dish!

All inside, sir. I did not read TD Rule #5, and accordingly must therefore withdraw this entry. My apologies.

(In Dr. Smith voice from Lost In Space): oh the shame, the shame of it all!!!!

No worries! There's still a few days left, hopefully you can get something in before Monday :thumb:

Beef tenderloin quesadilla *** throwdown entry

On the blackstone griddle.

You know that little end on the tenderloin?

I like to cut it off for a future meal.

I seasoned the two chunks of beef with carne crosta and diced up some onion and garden fresh japeleno

Plated. Entry pic

Decided to try my hand at making conchinita pibil again as it has been a very long time and I've only made it in an oven before.

I started by gathering some ingredients.

1_zpswuusrnlb.jpg

Mixed up a marinade consisting of lime, orange, and grapefruit juice along with achiote paste, garlic, vinegar, and some habanero. I also tossed in a dried pasilla and a couple of ancho chiles because they've been in the pantry a long time and, hey, why not?

Let it and the 4.5 lb. pork butt get good and acquainted overnight, then wrapped it all up in some banana leaves.

2_zpshg1mty2d.jpg

4_zpssal3xiry.jpg

After a few hours around 325 is was reading 190 and was nearly done...

5_zpsngv7wf4u.jpg

... but wasn't quite there yet.

6_zpsbgpc3jnt.jpg

Tossed some corn on the gasser as dinner time grew near.

By the time it finished the pork was just about right.

7_zpsj86h1uuu.jpg

8_zpseenztkg4.jpg

Brushed the corn with some butter and then an ancho chili mayo...

9_zpsklqg7gbt.jpg

Then plated it all up with some pickled red onions and grated cotija cheese.

10_zpsdfck8amx.jpg

Please use the above pic as my entry photo.

Turned out pretty good. There were a few changes I would likely make next time, but all in all, a nice Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Enchiladas Verda con Pollo con elote y sandía salid

This is my entry into the “Tortillas!” Throwndown.

The cook thread can be seen here:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235062

Unwrapped my corn and made it up elote style and plated it with the enchiladas, some Mexican Watermelon Salad and a Negra Modelo.

Please use the picture below as my polling photo.

Muy delicioso!

Thanks for looking.

Back