View Single Post
Unread 03-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
MostLarge
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

No problem swamprb. Pictures of the build will follow. No welding. I just found out that the barrels I have access to are only 35" and not 38". I will use them but I was wanting the taller barrels. I will have to MOD an extra section of a second barrel for more cooking space and better separation from fire. I do have a used weber to scrap for this project and using the lid will help give me room for 2 cooking levels. I guess if I need more space, I'll just have to build another. LOL.
Heres a couple of ideas.
I thought about using a 1/4" steel plate with circular rows of 1/4" to 1/2" drill holes for a little fire control ( maybe 3 to 4" above fire). This will still allow the grease to hit the steel and sizzle & release moisture, flavor and being 1/4" thick it might help with stabilizing temp on lid openings but be far enough away not to be bad source of radiant heat. I have enough left from trying to mod my BSnP to do a plate like that.
What do you guys think?
Also, I plan on using the bottom of a used wber to create a large fire box. Large hole cut on bottom for ash release and air intake. Firebox made from expanded steel and hog ties will rest inside weber bottom and will rest about 2 inches above air intake. I will use 4 4" black iron nipples for air intake exiting directly under the opening , so that the intake air is feeding directly underneath the fire. Resting the firebox on nipples.
Who knows. Might keep the air colder and help with better combustion.
I know what some of you are thinking. He is overthinking this.
That's what I do.
It's all about the Q
New Braunsfel Offset

[/FONT] [/FONT]
MostLarge is offline   Reply With Quote