Originally Posted by jgh1204
Well, I think this going down as a failure. As I said, the drum was used to hold apple juice concentrate. Whatever they used to coat the inside of the drum is putting off a funky smell.
Not gonna que in that.
It sounds like it is a standard steel drum but has a plastic coating to keep it from rusting from the acid in the apple juice and to keep the juice from tasting like rust. Burn it good and hot and you should burn off the plastic coating then you'll be fine! Any thing that is carbon based such as plastic will smply turn to carbon if burned good, just don't stand around and sniff the fumes while it burns off!!!