Discussion Thread -> "STEAK!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Official entry. Please use the below as my voting pic.

Cook thread - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3306808#post3306808

Voting pic

IMG_20150718_175302849_HDR1.jpg

Just wanted to clarify my "steak" entry. (if anyone is wondering if it qualifies as a "steak").

I would not have posted a beef rib as a "steak" if this had not been posted by Peeps describing what a "steak" is.
And for the record, this thread made it look like I could enter a mushroom without a problem.
This is from post #11. Thread here.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214127

From Wikipedia...

Quote:
A steak is a cut of meat sliced perpendicular to the muscle fibers, potentially including a bone. When the word "steak" is used without qualification, it generally refers to a beef steak. In a larger sense, there are also fish steaks, ground meat steaks, pork steak and many more varieties.

"Steaks" are also cut from grazing animals, usually farmed, other than cattle, including bison, camel, goat, horse, kangaroo,[2][3] sheep, ostrich, pigs, reindeer, turkey and deer, as well as various types of fish, especially salmon. Some cured meat, such as gammon, is commonly served as steak.

Grilled Portobello mushroom may be called mushroom steak, and similarly for other vegetarian dishes.[4] Imitation steak is a food product that is formed into a steak shape from various pieces of meat, while fruits such as watermelon can be grilled and described as "watermelon steak" because of their shape and color.

I made my decision to enter the throwdown from what is highlighted in red.
I cooked my beef ribs then cut them into "steaks"
As you can see by this photo, the meat is sliced perpendicular to the muscle fibers, and includes a bone. That makes it a "steak" (as described by Wikipedia and posted by Peeps)

IMG_0214_zpsicphyel0.jpg

If anyone is interested. That was about 2 pounds of meat on that bone! :becky:

Grilled Ribeye Steak Carne Asada Tacos

Please accept this as my entry into the Steak Throwdown.

I've never made Carne Asada, nor have I ever eaten Carne Asada, but I've wanted to try it for some time. Cruised the internet for a spell to get the idea, it's like there are a million different ways to make this stuff, right?

Anyway, came up with a plan. I wanted to enter the "Steak Throwdown", so I started with a nice ribeye from SRF.
Carne%20Asada%20Steak%20001_zps2nsc6kw6.jpg

Threw that in some marinade and let it go for about three hours;
Carne%20Asada%20Steak%20002_zpswazcakip.jpg

Grilled that on the Smokey Joe with some Mesquite for smoke;
Carne%20Asada%20Steak%20011_zpsr9amemez.jpg

Sliced this up for the tacos;
Carne%20Asada%20Steak%20016_zpswlcmiu9h.jpg

Assembled the tacos with the steak, avocado/corn salsa, Queso Fresco, Mexican Crema, sriracha sauce and a squeeze of lime.

You can see the full cook thread here; http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214743.

Please use the following photo as my entry shot;
Carne%20Asada%20Steak%20023_zps8qwj9t1c.jpg

This stuff was fantastic!

Thanks for looking all,

Keep on Qing,

KC

Please except this as my entry in the "steak throwdown"
I call this "Steak on a Stick"
Ray,

The TD mod team has conferred over the last few days and have decided that your entry does not fit the steak definition as the cut that was cooked was a slab of ribs on the bones which are sliced parallel to the muscle, then was cut across the muscle only for serving. This would be analogous to a slice from a rib roast, which is not a ribeye steak and as such does not fit the steak definition.

While it is a great cook, we just cannot accept it as an entry for this TD.

- peeps and the TD Mod staff

Ray,

The TD mod team has conferred over the last few days and have decided that your entry does not fit the steak definition as the cut that was cooked was a slab of ribs on the bones which are sliced parallel to the muscle, then was cut across the muscle only for serving. This would be analogous to a slice from a rib roast, which is not a ribeye steak and as such does not fit the steak definition.

While it is a great cook, we just cannot accept it as an entry for this TD.

- peeps and the TD Mod staff

Although I disagree, I will respect the decision of the mods.
Thanks for taking the time to look at my entry and consider it in the "steak" throwdown.

Back