Unread 12-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #9
Q_Egg
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Some final thoughts ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma
Looks great Tommy. Please report back after you get into the body of the ham and get into more of the injection. I may not do the injection next time because I thought it was too sweet.
I had the shower experience too. That sticky stuff was squirting all over the kitchen. Lucky for me wifey didnt see it and I cleaned it up right away.
---------------------------------

Really glad I tried it ... I feel the 'whole' ham version needs some fine-tuning since it seems like the original was developed with 1/2 hams (especially shank).

I doubled the injection/marinade formula (assuming it was devised for a 1/2 ham) and injected all of it .... however a large amount ended up in the pan afterward and was used as a last-hour baste. Tried reducing some of it down for a table sauce and it was too thick and strong.

The result was pretty good .... subtle, slightly sweet effect throughout the ham, the butter pecan extract flavor comes through nicely yet not at all overpowering. I did use the orange extract, but the bottle was almost empty and had been around a long time .... no negative impact.

I feel this is a unique way to prepare a holiday (special event) ham, not as much trouble as I expected, and a darned good result .... just not as impressive as I anticipated.

It would be great if others continued to refine this cook, especially using whole hams, to find some tricks that would really kick it up a notch.

The BGE temp control was excellent and kept the product quite moist. I did place a drip pan below, cooked indirect using the BGE ceramic 'plate setter' to buffer heat from below, and a liberal number of pecan and cherry chunks throughout the mixture of R.O and Mesquite lump.

An earlier test cook was done on the Traeger 075 with a 1/2 ham and the 'cut' side got a bit dry. I wish now that I had reversed the process and done the 1/2 ham on the BGE and whole ham on the Traeger.

Long-winded wrap-up .... but I hope it helps some who are considering this cook soon. This final pic is the remaining center portion ... saved the best for last! Well .... maybe, tonight we had Thirdeye's Great Northern Beans after a long cook with some of those great meaty bones!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CenterPortion1_DSCF1196.jpg (91.9 KB, 112 views)
GMG_Daniel Boone _ pellets only
Big Green Egg _ Large _ need high heat
Broilmaster D3 'natural' gasser
[I]CB Bandera .. hooked me
Traeger Texas 075 spoiled me[/I][/FONT]
Q_Egg is offline   Reply With Quote