Discussion Thread ->***SPECIAL*** "Noob Showcase! " Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC Only) Lasts All Month! Enter Mulitple Times!

Please accept this as my Noob TD entry...Tri-Tip Tacos

I've been here a year but I've only entered like 3 of these. Guess I'm still a Noob so here goes!

Here's the cook thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211475

Please accept the below pic as my official entry pic.
20150531_190429_zpsjvdut7xn.jpg

Please accept this as my entry to the NOOB Throwdown thread.... Mods, please consider picture #6 as my entry.

Did a few cooks this weekend. This is cook number one. Picture formatting is weird for some reason.

First was 1.5lb NY Strip with homemade onion rings. Reversed seared the Strip then finished with a compound butter (butter, flat leaf parsley, pepper, salt, fresh garlic, fresh thyme).

Setup:

Cooking on the Med BGE. Sat the Strip just on the edge where a direct flames wasn't.

1 -

qd1NXlfLpGbnl3Nlo_ZlqXqSwGqpny6k7TFnv_gnhac=w349-h233-no

2 - Finishing the Strip at roughly 600°

O3DIKdwnoZBfSWE7eGQzTASznwZPlyhG8dTHqL6FMqA=w1431-h955-no

3 - The finished onion rings...

sCfpN_G6OSiQ4MYTEeSvSDf7YFOAvR49JzDn9JWa7aQ=w1431-h955-no

4 - Finished steak w/compound butter

ClAx2MyMYqPqYZ9sV_wUKUs1ApNeZ1WsjrWjptmTHhE=w1431-h955-no

5 - On the cutting board. Sliced for the wife and I.

_kva9SALD3DpyUJD2y3MZBWGv5BNR5Yg4oKJel4VgFM=w351-h234-no

6 - And plated...

p6C14EMv_GI4nRB_l32u06XXY-mjsnVNVdX_pF4cszw=w1431-h955-no

Last edited:
Please accept this as my entry (number 2) to the NOOB Throwdown thread.... Mods, please consider picture #4 as my entry.

Cook/Post number two for me.

Chicken fried rice.

1 - Ingredients.

i-mW5jTPn-L.jpg

2 - Rice frying... Veggies waiting to go in.

i-NjfdQt2-L.jpg

3 - Didn't get a picture of everything in the wok for some reason, but did get a video of it.

[ame]https://youtu.be/HmNBlIDMUu0[/ame]

4 - Plated

i-P67DbSX-L.jpg

Last edited:
tarheelmatt, those cooks look awesome! :hungry:

Can you please confirm that both are official entries and clarify which pics you would like as your voting pic for each?

I have also included a link to the TD rules below, for your reference. I know it seems like we are asking a lot, but once you have figured it out, it will become natural to include the small things we are asking for that help us keep things straight... :thumb:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049

tarheelmatt, those cooks look awesome! :hungry:

Can you please confirm that both are official entries and clarify which pics you would like as your voting pic for each?

I have also included a link to the TD rules below, for your reference. I know it seems like we are asking a lot, but once you have figured it out, it will become natural to include the small things we are asking for that help us keep things straight... :thumb:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049

Sorry about that @peeps, I should have read the rules before I posted. I have edited both posts for my submission statement and noted which photo to include or to be considered for the throwdown.

Again, I apologize.

Sorry about that @peeps, I should have read the rules before I posted. I have edited both posts for my submission statement and noted which photo to include or to be considered for the throwdown.

Again, I apologize.
No worries. It is a lot to take in. Many of us have been doing this for a while and putting together an entry post is routine. We were all new once and most have managed to leave something out of an entry at some point or another...it even happens to the vets sometimes!

Thanks again for throwing your hat into the ring and hope to see you become a regular!

Was going to show pics of the whole cook but Photobucket is still being a pain...

Bowtie pasta in a smoky, meaty marinara.

First I threw the Italian sausages on the drum. Usually I make my own but the butcher wanted me to try these. Once they hit the IT I was lookin for I pulled them and let them rest.

20150602_125012_RichtoneHDR_zpstjnsp5bp.jpg

While the sausages were smoking I put together my marinara. Sautéed some onions and garlic. Once they were translucent I added ground beef. I took the skin off a couple of the smoked italian sausages and added to make the sauce a little smoky. Strained the beef and added canned, stewed tomatoes from last year's garden along with oregano, basil, rosemary and generic Italian seasoning. The final ingredient is one of my favorites in Italian cooking...fresh spinach.

While letting that cook down and marry I made some al dente bow tie pasta. Strained it and added it to my sauce. A good portion of parmessan is added with a handful of shredded mozzarella and folded in.

20150602_124626_RichtoneHDR_zpsnbwnal7h.jpg

Sliced up the rest of the sausage before folding it in...

20150602_125052_RichtoneHDR_zpsqa7ovftd.jpg

Please us this pic as my first entry. Plated with a little extra mozzarella on top.

20150602_130735.png_zpsjt7rhcfw.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Let's try this again....stinking Photobucket. Sundays cook.

My Dad had his baptism on Sunday (long story) and I did a big cook for friends and family to celebrate. Some of the photos aren't the best as I was the only cook feeding 28 people.

Big spread and I made smoked beans, potato salad, slaw, three types of pulled pork and a peach crisp.

20150531_130308_zpsrsqy55ks.jpg

20150531_130321_zpszxbkjoxr.jpg

Please use this pic as my second entry.

20150531_130238_zpso0nbcba9.jpg

Half the spread...

20150531_130220_zpsu9pflwfi.jpg

Desert was homemade ice cream on top of the peach crisp...and it was awesome.

20150531_133630_RichtoneHDR_zpstchtbyt9.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Hard to believe this is a Noob cook thread. Good job y'all...

I was actually able to slow down on a cook and put forth a better picture effort. Still just using my cell phone but I am happy with the outcome. Taste was awesome.

Live cook thread on QT...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211719

Open faced brisket sandwich with sweet corn and taters. Make this my third entry.

20150604_182134_RichtoneHDR_zpsdg3uxrc8.jpg

Chicken with a Sweet Honey BBQ Glaze

VechCjz.png

Just got a new Yoder so my first off-set smoker should go with my first throwdown entry ever. I smoked with Hickory with meathead's mephis dust rub. I then applied a nice honey bbq glaze (like buffalo wild wings).

Back