Discussion Thread -> "Probe Tender" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our new TD category is...

"Probe Tender"

finger-test-meat-doneness_zps2dd5c15a.png

As chosen by Shagdog for winning the "Chili" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Shagdog said:
"Probe Tender"

Cook whatever you like to probe tender - Brisket, ribs, pulled pork, chuckie, triskit, whatever. You may not use a thermometer to determine the temperature of your meat or of your pit. No Maverick, thermopop, thermapen, Thermoworks, thermawand, river country, tel tru, or whatever the hell they use in Australia. Those of you with thermo dials on the exteriors of your pits should cover them with foil or close your eyes as you walk to your pits. You'll know you're there when you burn your belly. Then back up a step. Yes, We're on the honor system here, but lets see you cook some food only by sight, touch, and smell. Pointy objects are welcomed to determine the doneness of your meat by feeling, as long as they are not giving you a Celsius or Fahrenheit reading of the temperature inside the meat.

Long story short - Cook some meat without gadgets.
You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 2/13 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 2/23/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 2/23.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Wow, great idea for a throwdown. This will be a challenge for those of us who are addicted to our gadgets. I like it!

Nice Dino Bone Shaggy... That was my first thought, but I wasn't going to enter until next week. Guess I'll think of something else or skip this one...

:tsk:Yeah, I thought about entering this one today, but there was no way I was going to "guess" on those Kobe steaks...

Please accept this as my official "probe tender" entry

I hadn't planed on entering this one, but I was in the mood for ribs.
I started some coals, added some more charcoal to the kettle, and went back inside. I forgot to grab the thermometer when I went out, so I had an entry started.
I took a slab of untrimmed spares and removed the membrane. My wife had just gotten some apple pie spice from Penzeys, so I mixed some of that with some brown sugar, kosher salt, onion powder and garlic powder. I rubbed the ribs
rubbed2-15_zps18bb227d.jpg

and went to check on the coals. They were lit, so I set the vents where they produce around 250-275 degrees when it's below freezing.
At 1:45 PM, I put the ribs on the grate and put the lid back on.
At 6 PM, I probed with a tooth pick, then pulled them
2-15off_zps5cdfda33.jpg

and sliced.
Please use this picture.
2-15sliced_zps59fac9a3.jpg

Last edited:
This is starting off as one great TD :thumb:

Too bad my Brisket cook was done before the start date.........

Moose and I received an inquiry regarding the use of timers/clocks/sundials/mental counting/hourglasses/songs that you have measured time with/other time counting devices for this throwdown.

We discussed it and based on our interpretation of Shagdog's called category, we have ruled to allow the use of time counting devices since the focus of the category description paragraph, in our interpretation, focused on the non-use of temperature devices (pit and/or meat) for the cook.

Moose and I received an inquiry regarding the use of timers/clocks/sundials/mental counting/hourglasses/songs that you have measured time with/other time counting devices for this throwdown.

We discussed it and based on our interpretation of Shagdog's called category, we have ruled to allow the use of time counting devices since the focus of the category description paragraph, in our interpretation, focused on the non-use of temperature devices (pit and/or meat) for the cook.

This will change everything !! :pray: :shocked:

Back