THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chili, beans or no beans

• beans make good chili

Votes: 101 54.6%
  • no beans!

Votes: 40 21.6%
  • i like chili

Votes: 36 19.5%
  • i will not dignify this poll with an answer

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just to fan the flames; 2 different types of beans in mine (chili hot beans & dark red kidneys) Also tomatoes & chiles. I'll take either on a good beef dog.

Look there is Chili con Carne and there is Rancho Frijoles (non Texans call 'em chili beans), then there is what became a fusion food chili con carne with beans used to streach the chili to increase profits and produce an inferior product by reducing the amount of meat. This is a carpet bagger invention that came about sometime around 1869/70 then we run the carpetbaggers out of the chili parlors and Texas sending 'em packin back to where they came from at the end of reconstruction. They carried the inferior product to the hinterlands calling it Chili.

So this Poll is confusing the issue Chili con Carne real deal chili has no beans!!
Chili Queen Chili

Recipe from: Connie Morrison
This is, according to the legend, one of San Antonio chili queen's original recipe circa 1885.

• 2 pounds beef, cut into ½ inch cubes
  • 1 pounds pork, cut into ½ inch cubes
  • ¼ cup suet
  • ¼ cup pork fat
  • 3 medium onions, chopped
  • 6 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 quarts water
  • 4 ancho chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
  • 1 serrano chile, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
  • 6 dried red New Mexican chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
  • 1 tablespoons cumin seeds, freshly ground
  • 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
  • salt, to taste
Lightly flour the beef and pork cubes. Quickly cook in the suet and pork fat, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and sauté until they are tender and limp. Remove all pieces of fat. Add the water to the mixture and simmer for 1 hour.
Grind the chiles in a blender or molcajete. Add to the meat mixture. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises, then serve with warm tortillas

Yes.

I can eat it either way, and if I am cooking it, I add a can of red kidney's. They just add a different texture...

For me, beans are a yes , tomatoes are a no!

My chili is red from spices.. mmmm nice smoky chili powder :biggrin1:

I keep seeing these chilis with tomatoes in them... this is not spaghetti :loco:

I like to mix ground meat and chunks together. Also like to mix beef in venison in my chili.

See Bludawg's quote in my signature for my thoughts about beans in chili.

I do like to mix in a pound or two of hot ground pork sausage or venison... Adds another dimension. My mom does it all wrong, but she works magic with chili powder, ground beef, ranch style beans, & onions.

Funny, when I think of Texas, I always think of men in dirty, sweaty clothes eating beans. And coffee full of grounds.

Look there is Chili con Carne and there is Rancho Frijoles (non Texans call 'em chili beans), then there is what became a fusion food chili con carne with beans used to streach the chili to increase profits and produce an inferior product by reducing the amount of meat. This is a carpet bagger invention that came about sometime around 1869/70 then we run the carpetbaggers out of the chili parlors and Texas sending 'em packin back to where they came from at the end of reconstruction. They carried the inferior product to the hinterlands calling it Chili.

So this Poll is confusing the issue Chili con Carne real deal chili has no beans!!
Chili Queen Chili

Recipe from: Connie Morrison
This is, according to the legend, one of San Antonio chili queen's original recipe circa 1885.

• 2 pounds beef, cut into ½ inch cubes
  • 1 pounds pork, cut into ½ inch cubes
  • ¼ cup suet
  • ¼ cup pork fat
  • 3 medium onions, chopped
  • 6 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 quarts water
  • 4 ancho chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
  • 1 serrano chile, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
  • 6 dried red New Mexican chiles, seeds and stems removed, chopped fine
  • 1 tablespoons cumin seeds, freshly ground
  • 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
  • salt, to taste
Lightly flour the beef and pork cubes. Quickly cook in the suet and pork fat, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and sauté until they are tender and limp. Remove all pieces of fat. Add the water to the mixture and simmer for 1 hour.
Grind the chiles in a blender or molcajete. Add to the meat mixture. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises, then serve with warm tortillas

I do agree but your talkin 125 years ago and times they hava changed. I heard Texas even joined the union.

Chili can be a lot of things to a lot of people and it can vary from region to region (Cincinnati chili). Dont worry the lone star state will always have their chili con carne. Us yankees will just have to fight over our spicy vegetable soup.:laugh:

Thanks for clearing up the difference, the brief history lesson and that recipe. :thumb:

Back