View Single Post
Unread 11-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #25
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Egg
.... raises an early question for me about starting with fruit (or a mix) and then switching to oak for the longer cook time. That means more 'manual intervention', but maybe it is worth it. May also depend on my access to Ozark Oak tt's. Looks like Wyoming is the closest source.
I don't have the timing down on how long a hopper full of turds will last. For long cooks on a 075, you are going to have to refill at some point. Start with the fruit, hickory, and pecan turds then top it off with Oak on the back end of your long cook.

I'm cooking some thighs for lunch and a pork butt for the teachers at my sons' school. They go to an English-Spanish speaking preschool. I'm trading some BBQ for tamales. I've loaded it up with 50% apple and 50% hickory. Once my hopper drops down toward the bottom, I'll start putting Oak in to finish the pork butt.

I took some pictures of my pellets both seperate and mixed. You'll see that you can only tell a difference in the oak... a different vendor. I'll post in a bit.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote