View Single Post
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #18
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyQ
What mixture of tree turds have you been using Todd?
For comp, catering, and concessions we've been using straight oak. Oak turds are the cheapest. Not until I got my 075 a couple weeks ago have we even had any other flavored pellets to work with. I have a bag of apple and a bag of hickory. Still experimenting. I can't tell a whole lot of difference from the oak to the hickory and apple. Looking forward to trying some Cherry. When using real wood, I love a little cherry with hickory. Mostly, I like the color that cherry wood gives. Want to see if Tree Turds will give the same color.

One long time, successful pellet team (Not Pellet Envy ) shared with us that they use like a blend of oak, hickory, and apple. I think about 20% each for hickory and apple.

I think a blend is the way to go and am planning to fnd that blend this winter. Tonight, I used about 80% apple and 20% hickory blend on our pork chops. Wife was in heaven. Said it was the best chops she's ever had. I'd have to agree. I simple rubbed a little EVOO, Traeger Pork & Poultry Shake (came in the Traeger spice sampler), fresh ground pepper, and a little kosher salt. Smoked for 30 min and then kicked it up for about 45-60 more. Nice color. Nice flavor. Real juicy. Smoke smell and a little bitty smoke ring. Perfect.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote