View Single Post
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #13
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

A couple other tips...

May seem common sense to many, but it wasn't to me. Start your cooker on High or a high temp on your dial. This keeps the pellets feeding at a good rate until you get a good flame established. About 5 minutes and I find that my pit is up to 200 degrees pretty easily. Then back down to whatever temp you want to cook at. When I first started, I'd start my cooker on smoke or 180. This didn't feed the pellets in fast enough and I sometimes wouldn't get a good fire established before my hot rod shut down.

At some point this will happen to you. Your fire may go out. Either you are going to run out of pellets or you don't get a proper start. If you refill the pellet bin and don't turn your cooker off and back on, the hot rod isn't going to restart your fire. No matter how your fire goes out, make sure you look at the little fire ring in your pit to make sure that unlit pellets haven't mounded up in your pit. If they have and you restart, you could be burning a ton of pellets at one time and have a real problem on your hands.

So the tip is to look for mounded pellets if your fire ever goes out.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote