THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our new TD category is...

"Duck or Goose"

Duck-3-940x626.jpg

As chosen by oifmarine2003 for winning the "Meat on Meat!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

oifmarine2003 said:
Hey Moose-

I am thinking "Duck or Goose" for the next TD. It is time to give these two birds some love! It doesn't have to be a whole duck or a whole goose. No special rules, no spoon shots :)caked:), standard throwdown rules will be enough. Just cook some great looking duck OR goose.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 10/3 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 10/13/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 10/13.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
This is my official entry into the "Duck or Goose" TD.

This is my entry titled, "Getting Goosed for Thanksgiving".

I'm just including the goose itself in this entry, I'm in the middle of making Thanksgiving dinner the night before, into the wee hours. The full meal won't be ready until 5 pm today, after the deadline for the TD, so it's just goose right now. I haven't cooked or eaten a goose before, it's resting while I type and prepare the photos, by the time I'm done I'll slice, taste, and let you know what I think.

I googled around for goose roasting info and heard so much about scooping the fat out while it was cooking I decided to stand the farker up.

I looked at a few recipes for roasting goose to get ideas for a rub and this is what I decided.

Dragona got goosed! :shock:

I decided to save the rendered fat to fry potatoes. The fat was bubbling and boiling in the pan so I pulled the whole pan out, put a new pan back in Dragona, the goose and stand went back in the smoker and I carefully took the pan of boiling fat into the house. I cooled it a bit then MacGyvered a sieve to catch the crunchies on its way to a container.

Goose is ready and in the house. Passed the remaining rendered fat through the sieve and now my mother has a container of goose fat to fry potatoes!

Now it's time to taste it. BRB.

Please use the photo below for voting.

That is good chit!! Tastes a lot like duck, much more flavour that chicken and turkey and oh, is it nice with smoke! Moist and delicious, dinner tonight is going to be fabulous!

Thanks for looking!

What a fine last minute entry, Kathy! :clap2:

Which one is your entry photo, or shall peeps and I decide? :confused:

What a fine last minute entry, Kathy! :clap2:

Which one is your entry photo, or shall peeps and I decide? :confused:

Thanks, Moose!

The entry photo is the last one. :becky:

I just opened the lid of the grease container this morning and it smells wonderful, those seasonings worked well, especially the dry, granulated onion.

Last edited:
Chris, every time I see those stockinettes hanging in the smoker my interest is peaked. What are they made of? The material looks like plastic but it can't be, can it?

Not sure exactly, Kathy. Here is where I got them and the listing for them. It doesn't say in there but they are plasticy kinda sorta material. Hard to say really. I had to buy a box of 100 so if you want one let me know. I probably have 85 left. :wacko: They really work great in my smokehouse though.

http://www.waltonsinc.com/p-1443-ve...facturerID=0&OrderBy=4&helpful_1443_70343=on&

On EDIT: It says "poly ham and turkey netting". Some of the other similar products said 100% polyester.

Thanks, Chris, for the explanation and the offer. I don't have a use for one right now, I just have the kamado, kettle and a couple of small bullets. I do like the idea of hanging meat to smoke and I love the idea of your home-built wood smoker. There's a thread a new brother posted that built something similar with brick. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198668 I'd be happy to have either. I checked the site you posted and googled for cotton netting, got nothing. That's okay, it could be years before I need one, lots of time to pick up the art of macrame. :wacko:

Back