Discussion Thread -> "Beans" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Folks, there's nothing to worry or be concerned about here at all, so everyone please calm down.

We've got an emergency shipment of Dilly Bars being airlifted that should arrive early tomorrow am that will take care of the situation, so we'll be good to go no matter what happens.

:heh:

Folks, there's nothing to worry or be concerned about here at all, so everyone please calm down.

We've got an emergency shipment of Dilly Bars being airlifted that should arrive early tomorrow am that will take care of the situation, so we'll be good to go no matter what happens.

:heh:

Well, hopefully to avoid any dilly bars being unecessarily dealt out... I never condidered an entry that would use beans in a blended form like falafel. If it is alright by the mods and the contenstants, as long as there is a clear closeup shot up each entry (as there is with all entries so far) that should suffice.

I'm all about these things being FUN, and to let the voters decide.

Cheers!

Bill

Official TD Entry: BEANS!

My turn now... I've left it pretty late but I hope is works out OK.

First, I started with some green beans which I blanched. But that's boiling for a tiny bit, then submerging in iced water, so no pics of that!

Here they are looking delicious!

DSC_0003_zps0f23978d.jpg

I'd also done these little tomatoes:
DSC_0007_zps40410f7c.jpg

I Grilled those beans very nicely. Glad CD has disappeared, cause otherwise he'd say that was burned!

DSC_0012_zps2fa6ce44.jpg

I also had some hanger steak on the menu :icon_smile_tongue:
DSC_0027_zps10b132d3.jpg

Next step:
DSC_0028_zpscf119c32.jpg

A bit of a toss.... Ooops

Ended up in a spoon!
DSC_0029_zps0658db7d.jpg

DSC_0033_zps090e44e4.jpg

Entry Pic Below Please!
DSC_0039_zps276cd0ed.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't think of green beans for this TD! I love green beans! They look gorgeous and delicious and I love char as an accent. Did you toss them with anything more than tomatoes? :hungry: I have that grill pan and I'm going to copy this. :becky:

This is my official entry titled, "Too long baked navy beans".

It started innocently enough. I wanted to make a fabulous 'from scratch' bean entry, something tasty and healthy, that would propel myself onto the next level of bean eating. I got propelled alright, just not the way I expected. :oops:

Two pounds of dried navy beans soaked in cold water about 18 hours. Rinsed and turned out into a roasting pan.

A medium onion and ¾ of a large green pepper chopped smallish, sauteed in grapeseed oil and tossed on the beans. Originally I had planned to fry this in my homemade bacon, but after careful consideration, I thought if it turned out it would be great to share with my spiritual discussion group, but most of them are vegetarians…… so grapeseed oil. :hand:

Three very ripe field tomatoes whizzed around and added.

Spices were fresh ground corriander, cumin and black pepper, ⅛ tsp smoked hot paprika, granulated garlic and onion, smidgeon of celery seed, molasses, mustard powder. I didn't have any cartons of vegetable stock left so I used apple juice for simmering. When the 2 litre/quart bottle was finished I used water to about another 2 litres. They cooked a very long time and went through a lot of liquid topping up.

Hey, wait….. what's that poking out from the edge of the roasting pan of vegetarian beans?

Brisket point!! :whoo:

Finished bowl of beans.

Spoon shot and voting photo below.

Now comes the part where I ask my brethren and sistren to help me trouble-shoot the 'al dente' texture of these beans. Is it me, am I unreasonably expecting the texture to be like canned beans? I tried cooking beans once from scratch many, many years ago, I remember they soaked overnight and almost overflowed the pot, but other than that, I don't remember what I made or how they turned out. I do remember reading that salt added to some kinds of beans before they are tender will prevent them from reaching tenderness. Works for me, I cook without salt for my spouse and add salt to my own plate. I smoked them outside from about 3:30 pm at 250°F until the fire died down after midnight. Still hard. Put them in the oven overnight at 225°F. Woke up in the morning, still hard. Continued to add liquid, continued to cook, continued to be hard. Continued to bake them in the oven to the second morning. Still hard. Pretty much cooked them a day and a half and added about a gallon of liquid altogether.

I've read that if dry beans are old you can't cook them long enough to get them tender. Is this what my problem is? I don't like it if that is. I think of dry beans as an emergency staple, and being dry, I expect them to be able to store for a few years or at least 3. I didn't record the date of purchase and I really don't know how old they are. Is there a way to bring back too old dry beans? Soak them for 3 days before cooking? Use a pressure cooker? Boil them on the stove in water 6 hours before baking with seasoning and vegetables? I'm going to try this again but maybe with half a pound next time.

Thank you to anyone that is able to help me figure this out.

And thanks for looking!

:becky:
Homemade baked beans have been a staple of my life for over 60 years, and they always have a "texture" to them. The skin of the bean is always present in homemade baked beans. The mushiness of canned beans is a dead give away to me.

Just a little olive oil, salt and pepper!

Nothing more!

Cheerss!

Bill

that's all they need. this is one of my favorite ways to cook up fresh green beans...but I usually don't bother blanching first. oh, and they ain't burnt...they look perfect from here. another nice cook all around, Bill!

Homemade baked beans have been a staple of my life for over 60 years, and they always have a "texture" to them. The skin of the bean is always present in homemade baked beans. The mushiness of canned beans is a dead give away to me.

Oh. Thank you, I think I may have overcooked them then. I know what you call the mushy canned ones best. At about 22 hours cooking they were substantially more tender in comparison with how they were before that, and the flavour was significantly different at that point, like it was mellow or mature. I tasted the beans a dozen times at least through the cook so I can recall the appearance and taste of each stage of cooking. Are canned beans the way they are because the skin is gone? When do you add salt? I have a lot to learn about cooking dry beans, if you have anything else to teach me, I'm grateful to receive it, brother.

Can you tell me what you consider best storage times for dry beans and if and how you cook ones that have been around longer than that?

Beans TD Entry - TinySmokin

Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown...and with only 21 minutes to spare. After finishing dinner I took a little nap...till now:-D

Had a great Sunday shooting sporting clays with friends...and believe it or not the wind was not blowing in Kansas :shocked: We finished up at sundown and I was back at the house late...opened the cabinet and realized there was way to many Bean cans staring me in the face! Great timing:-D

Linky to my midnight dinner...TinySmokin Beans

IMG_0457-L.jpg

Thanks for lookin!

I

had included a tortilla spoonful within the thread. Hopefully, that was enough, if not, I'll be having a Dilly Bar for lunch.:becky:

Bob

Well, hopefully to avoid any dilly bars being unecessarily dealt out... I never condidered an entry that would use beans in a blended form like falafel. If it is alright by the mods and the contenstants, as long as there is a clear closeup shot up each entry (as there is with all entries so far) that should suffice.

I'm all about these things being FUN, and to let the voters decide.

Cheers!

Bill

***MODERATOR'S NOTE***

After conferring with peeps regarding Bill's request to alter the special rule he outlined in the category description, as well as avoiding the ultimate mega-dilly debacle that would have ensued with so many DQ's, we will honor Bill's request that all entries are valid provided they conform to standard TD rules. :clap2:

I find it baffling that so many TD veterans failed to follow the special rule that Bill seemed to so clearly define. I'm not sure exactly what the cause of this is, but when you enter a TD, PLEASE READ both the rules and the category description carefully.

Thanks!

Oh. Thank you, I think I may have overcooked them then. I know what you call the mushy canned ones best. At about 22 hours cooking they were substantially more tender in comparison with how they were before that, and the flavour was significantly different at that point, like it was mellow or mature. I tasted the beans a dozen times at least through the cook so I can recall the appearance and taste of each stage of cooking. Are canned beans the way they are because the skin is gone? When do you add salt? I have a lot to learn about cooking dry beans, if you have anything else to teach me, I'm grateful to receive it, brother.

Can you tell me what you consider best storage times for dry beans and if and how you cook ones that have been around longer than that?
I can't help on those details. I just follow the recipe handed down through the generations in my dad's family. I purchase beans as needed, so they are relatively fresh. It's been a while, I need to it dig out.

This is my official entry titled, "Too long baked navy beans".

It started innocently enough. I wanted to make a fabulous 'from scratch' bean entry, something tasty and healthy, that would propel myself onto the next level of bean eating. I got propelled alright, just not the way I expected. :oops:

Two pounds of dried navy beans soaked in cold water about 18 hours. Rinsed and turned out into a roasting pan.

A medium onion and ¾ of a large green pepper chopped smallish, sauteed in grapeseed oil and tossed on the beans. Originally I had planned to fry this in my homemade bacon, but after careful consideration, I thought if it turned out it would be great to share with my spiritual discussion group, but most of them are vegetarians…… so grapeseed oil. :hand:

Three very ripe field tomatoes whizzed around and added.

Spices were fresh ground corriander, cumin and black pepper, ⅛ tsp smoked hot paprika, granulated garlic and onion, smidgeon of celery seed, molasses, mustard powder. I didn't have any cartons of vegetable stock left so I used apple juice for simmering. When the 2 litre/quart bottle was finished I used water to about another 2 litres. They cooked a very long time and went through a lot of liquid topping up.

Hey, wait….. what's that poking out from the edge of the roasting pan of vegetarian beans?

Brisket point!! :whoo:

Finished bowl of beans.

Spoon shot and voting photo below.

Now comes the part where I ask my brethren and sistren to help me trouble-shoot the 'al dente' texture of these beans. Is it me, am I unreasonably expecting the texture to be like canned beans? I tried cooking beans once from scratch many, many years ago, I remember they soaked overnight and almost overflowed the pot, but other than that, I don't remember what I made or how they turned out. I do remember reading that salt added to some kinds of beans before they are tender will prevent them from reaching tenderness. Works for me, I cook without salt for my spouse and add salt to my own plate. I smoked them outside from about 3:30 pm at 250°F until the fire died down after midnight. Still hard. Put them in the oven overnight at 225°F. Woke up in the morning, still hard. Continued to add liquid, continued to cook, continued to be hard. Continued to bake them in the oven to the second morning. Still hard. Pretty much cooked them a day and a half and added about a gallon of liquid altogether.

I've read that if dry beans are old you can't cook them long enough to get them tender. Is this what my problem is? I don't like it if that is. I think of dry beans as an emergency staple, and being dry, I expect them to be able to store for a few years or at least 3. I didn't record the date of purchase and I really don't know how old they are. Is there a way to bring back too old dry beans? Soak them for 3 days before cooking? Use a pressure cooker? Boil them on the stove in water 6 hours before baking with seasoning and vegetables? I'm going to try this again but maybe with half a pound next time.

Thank you to anyone that is able to help me figure this out.

And thanks for looking!

:becky:
you are right about the salt, but the acid from the tomatoes, or any acid, also will inhibit the beans from breaking down, i add the salt and tomatoes to beans when they are about half way cooked, usually about and hour and a half into the cook, hope this helps, cameron

Just

a thought here. I don't make baked beans often, but when I do I use canned to make thing easier and since I use different kinds of beans which means different cooking times.
All I can offer is that maybe the lack of a hard boil with plenty of liquid is what kept them al dente.
I normally don't soak either but just go with a long boil. While I have never used a crock pot to make beans, I have used a pressure cooker and the pressure cooker gives me that "canned" bean texture all the time and I use dry, unsoaked beans.

Bob

Those are two good pieces of information, brothers, thank you so much for posting. We're going away for two nights, when we get back I'm going to try this again. Not only was there acid in the tomato, Cameron, there was also plenty of acid in the half gallon of MacIntosh apple juice I cooked them in. I may be lucky I got them as "soft" as I did. I will also start off with a hard boil in water, thank you, Bob. My mother is going to try to rescue them, she also likes her beans less al dente, first she's going to freeze them thinking the procedure will break down the texture.

My baked beans are a lot dryer than those in your pictures. Mine are cooked for over 8 hours. I also always use a dedicated crockery bean pot in the oven, which turns out a totally different product than when I used a dutch oven, before I got my own pot.

Back