Thread: Bionic Bandera
View Single Post
Unread 10-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

the cookout was great.. and all i can say is, the magic is IN THE FIREBOX!

We finished the top and added a 1/4 or 3/8 inch steel baffle to it and a new firegrate. Also sealed up those annoyin seams/cracks in the top of the firebox and added some reinforcing steel angle to the bottom.

I seasoned it thursday and incinerated some sausages while doing so.

dumped a full chimney of kingsford in it and added a log of oak. Waited for temps to start climbing, and past experience said that that fuel load should bring be to about 250... i left everything fullopen down and went inside. Checked an hour later and the beast was still locked at 350+ and the sausages were incinerated to porklump. The log was still intact and coalbed was about half gone. I dampered down and it ran for nearly another 2 hours on that fuel load with temps dropping down to 225. Being it was just seasoning some new racks, the baffle and some spots where i wire brushed the crud off it, i felt 3 hours was plenty and let if die down. i shut top and bottom dampers and the next day, the log was still there as a big chunk of lump charcoal. Showed that the top sealed good enuf to snuf out the fire. The first cook for the boyscouts I'll give details in a seperate thread, but i used only one chimney of kingsford, about a chimney or 2 of lump to keep a coalbed going and only half the wood that i anticipated and brought with me.

The litttle beast is going back to he welding shop for more work. The cousin wants to rebuild the entire firebox with 3/8 inch steel. and we may get to welding on the reciever to be place into a hitch. Which BTW.. is for TRANSPORT ONLY.. Seems a few guys thought i was going to be cooking with the bandera on the hitch.. Plan is, to be able to hitch it to the wrangler, bring it to the campsite and take ot OFF the hitch to cook!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA131022.jpg (42.0 KB, 674 views)
File Type: jpg PA131024.JPG (142.7 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg PA131025.JPG (143.2 KB, 677 views)
File Type: jpg PA131026.JPG (152.1 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg PA131027.JPG (139.6 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpg PA131028.JPG (141.9 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg PA131029.JPG (153.4 KB, 655 views)
File Type: jpg PA131030.JPG (161.0 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg PA131031.JPG (153.3 KB, 853 views)
File Type: jpg PA141044.JPG (152.6 KB, 647 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote