View Single Post
Unread 05-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #22
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_connoisseur View Post
I agree with you Ron. This forum has helped me make the decision to throw my hat in the ring as a caterer.

I am just starting out, have not done any advertising yet, because I did want to learn how to do it the right way but there are times when people on this forum make it seem so daunting that it discourages people.

For me, this forum is helpful and I think if people provide honest insight about the ups and downs of catering then we all are better for it. And the truth is that when my cigar buddies ask me to "cater" an event for them, it's because (1) they trust me, (2) they like my food and (3) they want to help me succeed. And probably they would rather have me there to hang out with around the smoker than a stuffy, non-involved person.

Some of us have no desire to open a B&M, this is a hobby for us and we get all the legal/health stuff taken care of as protection but it's not going to replace our 9to5.
This....

I have been a successful competition cook for several years in my area... And with that have been numerous requests to cater.. At first I said no, but then I realized I could make a few bucks to help pay for competitions. I had no clue where to start. Here comes this forum. I have mainly searched for questions that have already been asked. Well as I was only doing stuff "for friends" yes I was doing it at home. Now a couple years later. I realized I need to do this legit. I had a food handlers card from the beginning. Now it's time for insurance, and a county license. I tried opening my own kitchen but in reality I don't have the Capitol and with all the city codes and regulations these days not gona happen anytime soon. I found a certified kitchen to rent.

Long story short. I was the guy in the garage doing small stuff on the side. Now I am legit and have my own business although not full time.. A lot of it has to do with this forum and members like you.

Thank You to you and all who have contributed in this forum.

Jesse

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500

Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->