View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #11900
kls44
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ken
Default My UDS

Got my UDS built a couple weeks ago. Fairly simple, I put in four 3/4" intakes, three of them with caps and one with a 90* elbow and ball valve. The fire basket is a Weber charcoal grate with 12" high expanded metal clipped to the grate with heavy steel wire. The basket has 3-1/2" carrage bolts for legs resting in the ash pan made from a cheap 18" table top grill. I installed single track adjustable shelf standards and brackets so I could shift the two racks depending. Keeping my eye open for a dome lid but using the flat lid for now.
I had planned on painting it, but after the big burn I decided I liked the marbled look of the burnt paint so I wiped off he loose stuff and sprayed it with a high-temp clear. The starter chimney is home made from 6" duct.
The first cook was a disaster, everything was waaaay overcooked. Found out the temp. gauge I used was reading about 75* low. Its replacement is much better.
This thing is so easy to operate, I like it!
Cooked a fatty for the first time this morning, turned out good but will use spicier sausage next time. Then put on a chicken and slab of ribs for supper, both were fall apart done and delicious. Thinking maybe a butt next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1569.jpg (129.8 KB, 672 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1567.jpg (161.7 KB, 671 views)

Thanks from:--->