View Single Post
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Whitewookie
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
I've done reverse sear with many larger cuts of Beef (Prime Rib and Tri tip mostly). For some reason I'm paranoid about trying it with Ribeye. Seems like it wouldn't get the fat to crisp up nicely and I'm worried I'd overcook the thing. Smaller cuts seem to go up very quickly even at low temps.
With the thickness you described (1.25 to 1.5 in.) I think you are good. I wouldn't go with less than 1.25.

for med. rare, indirect low and slow to an internal temp of ~115 deg then sear over direct until you get the desired color and temp. (130-135). For more or less than medium rare add or subtract finish temp on the indirect side.

I dry brine them for a couple hours before cooking then dust them with some good black pepper just as they come off the fire so the pepper doesn't scorch but the surface oils are still hot enough to activate the pepper. You could also dust them with your favorite spices at this time if desired.

I've used this method for inch and a quarter and up steaks several times with good results.

Thin steaks are a whole different animal. Well, I mean they are still a cow, but...oh hell never mind, You get it.

VR,
Harold
Whitewookie is offline   Reply With Quote