View Single Post
Unread 04-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #19
ShencoSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag80n View Post
I have been thinking that a way to make a stickburner work like a minion or gravity feed would be to use an external hopper. Wouldn't be easy to figure out but I think it could be done. My thinking goes like this:

Set up the firebox with a dropdown door/chute on one side. Next to it would be a hopper loaded with splits. A system would be set up that could, on sensing a predetermined temperature drop, open the chute and drop one split down the chute. Connect this door and hopper system to a motor/actuator that is run by an arduino processor http://www.arduino.cc/. This processor would be triggered by it's own sensor or get it's information from a digi-q that would be set up to run air flow. It would have to be set up in such a way that a drop would first be reacted to by the digi-q. If it failed to bring up the temp in a prescribed time frame then the next split would drop. Right now this is just a thought in my head. May one day see if it could actually be done.
Stick burners need a clean burning fire. If i opened the door and chunked a split in (like the chute would- with no precision) the fire would smolder because the fire is not built correctly. It takes skill to maintain a clean fire, and a gadget has no skill. And if you wonder why us stick burners go to all this trouble? Because we enjoy it!
Weber OTG- Ole Blue
Rotisserie Drum- The Bird Barrel

1752 Barbecue
facebook.com/1752Barbecue
ShencoSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->