View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #46
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Hello guys and gals. Easter weekend has this reply a little slower than I usually am at replying.

I'm VERY sorry to confuse a few of ya'll. I spend so much time on this board that I consider it a bit like close friends that know every little quirk I have ahead of time without much backstory.

First, I have had GERD(Gastroesophageal reflux disease) for many many years and it's permanent unless I had surgery to fix the little flappy thing that seals the top of the stomach off. Over the past 10-15 years I've learned what I can and can't do......and what I shouldn't do, but do anyway because I love it.

I take prevacid daily and it's the only thing I've found to make me a happy camper after sooo many other pills.

I do not have a gallbladder. I developed polyps in mine and started having lovely painful attacks about 10 years ago. I still remember how sexy the women in radiology were, but can't think of anything benign enough to go through to get back and say high again without any clothes on except my gown.

And now to the point of my thread. I am in NO WAY giving up BBQ or even changing how much I eat it. Or any other(well prepared) non bbq foods that restaurants serve.

It's just that over the years I have found what my body likes and doesn't like. And in almost any case I can work around what it doesn't like through moderation or medication if there's no avoiding consumption for some reason.

But this is where bbq is different than most any other food. There are sooooooo many ways to introduce things that are VERY stomach and intestinally unfriendly IF you don't do things in what I consider the RIGHT way when it comes to BBQ prep and cooking.

If the food is done the way I do it at the house(fresh untreated meat, no msg-like chems in my rubs and most importantly thin blue smoke from an all wood fire) then I can eat more than one human should be able to eat and feel only the effects normally associated with gluttony.

However, at restaurants I run into BBQ that has either failed to do one or all of those things to a degree that there no amount small enough to eat and no medicine strong enough to take that my body doesn't go into full rejection mode for 24 hours.

So, now I've come to the conclusion to give up trying every bbq place I find when I'm out and about. It's just not worth the risk anymore. Now, if a place comes HIGHLY recommended and regarded I will certainly give her a run....body be damned.

So, again. I'm definitely NOT giving up BBQ. Just the mess served at most restaurants.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote