View Single Post
Unread 08-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #37
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4
Default Tonights Experiment.

Took Bills advice and went back to basics..... High temp, hot spot that i have been doing for chicken and steaks... . I think hes right.... this is the start of where i want to go..

I started with a large bed of lump and 3 logs, hickory and cherry and mesquite..(had no split oak and I was lazy). Pit was 450 in the cool spot when i put the steaks in the hotspot...directly over the baffle from the firebox.. flames were shooting in and just touching the meat.

about 10 minutes steaks were at 120. i took them off and threw them on a grate in the firebox about an inch over the coals for about a minute each side.

Well they were just like the hightemp steaks I have done before, smokey, super tender and as u can see, about as juicy as they can be. Soft char outside... the climbed from 120, to 130 quickly so i pulled them off. When i took them in to rest, found the analog instant read thermo was off, digital had them at 125 still, so retuned it to the hotspot for about 5 minutes more. They could have spent another minute or two on the firegrate and gotten a better char, but i wanted to get a taste and not risk overcooking it for the experiments. I think this is a technique that will make something close to that orgasmix porterhouse, but the key at Salt Island was the wood, just pure wood, some kind of oak, no lump charcoal, maybe some supplimental gas for higher heat. Im going to stay down this path, next try will be pure oak, nothing else, high heat and a late seer.

this is fun, steak every night till i get it right...

anyone know an artery donor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8170862.JPG (155.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg P8170863.JPG (143.2 KB, 102 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote