View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #39
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Doing a search on Philly Cheese Steak I found this thread. I have two questions.

1.) What make the magical PA Italian Hoagie roll, whomever you choose as the bakery and several were mentioned, so good? What's the magic? Most of these places don't ship and freshness seems to be a crucial key. I have access to some great hoagie rolls here and can get them fresh that day. What's the consensus on that? I was thinking 7"-8" rolls.

2.) When slicing the rib-eye I'm assuming across the grain and remove all of the outside fat before trimming. I would think a good marbled rib-eye would work fine. So am I on track with the trimming? Also I thought about 3/4 lb of meat per sammie.

I want to do these for a Packer tailgate party of about 25 people. I have (2) Weber Q200 gas grills and was thinking of putting a Lodge cast iron griddle on them to cook the sandwiches. Let me know your thoughts.

Bump for spring and because that spring training thread got me thinking about cheesesteaks again. Not to mention we all ignored Bluesman.

1. I don't know what exactly makes the bread so good here. I've heard it's the water, also the altitude of some places just isn't conducive to good bread.

I don't travel much so I've never had a cheesesteak anywhere else but from what I hear from people that have, most do suck.

I find it hard to believe that no where other than Philly can make a good enough bread. Sometimes it's just hard to top the original I guess.

2. Sounds about right to me. Very thin slices is the key.

I hope your steaks came out well for you.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Backwoods Ext. Party,
Vision Kamado,
22" WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, Mini WSM, UDS "No.8"

Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote