Originally Posted by Fwismoker
1) I rarely use a second level but when i do i don't pull the grate I just pull the food.
2) Put the duffuser maybe 5-10" above the basket so you have the ability to over stack your basket when you need to for long cooks. Also it's nice having it above your basket if you need to put a drip pan on it for au jus...it's good to have some distance between the basket and pan so liquids don't fry quickly.
3) I like a simple pizza pan with some good holes drilled into it... maybe 1/2 to 3/4 just so it diffuses some direct heat (blended heat) but still let all the drippings go down to the coals.
4) Can't go wrong with River Country, they are accurate, fairly inexpensive and can easily calibrate them.
5) Auto parts stores...high heat engine paints
I agree with you on not removing the entire grate. I was wondering on extended smokes and adding fresh meat often and having to add more wood chunks. But I suppose even doing that a diffuser would be in the way as well.