View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2f View Post
Have you looked into supporting your local farmer's? Hard to compete with the corporate outfits but I think there is a chance people will be willing to pay the difference if they know its local before were all gone. It is a bit of a hassle and more expensive usually compared to ordering commercial but worth it in the end I think.
I support local people as much as possible. But what you are suggesting is not feasible really. I cook pork butts. There are only 2 on a pig. I could use the ribs and some of the loins. What do you do with the rest of the pig. A farmer will want to sell the whole pig not just parts. If you were making sausage or had some use for the rest of the animal you could try it but you would have way more ground meat than anything else. I am helping just as many farmer by get meat for my distributor as I would one farmer. I think gett local ingredients or products made by someone local is a better way to go. I use a rub from my friends, I get dessert bars from a local cater, I have wine from a local winery and will be flavored preserve on wing from one of my employees that makes jellies. Also, this summer I hope to be selling her cheeses once she gets her dairy open.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote