Unread 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #35
LongTong
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
You can't knock it until you tried it and try it without any preconceived notions which at this point is probably impossible. Certainly those extra ingredients do add sweetness, but it isn't like every ounce of brown sugar and butter ends up in the ribs or sitting on top of it when you take a bite. It all becomes a liquid that adds an additional layer of flavor to the ribs that is then drained off before finishing. I have added those things and in some variation still do and do not think my ribs are candy or overly sweet at all.

Not all that different than slapping a sugary (honey, brown sugar, molasses, etc) sauce on there. And yes some folks don't like those sauces either I know. But sugary sauces seems completely acceptable vs the butter/brown sugar step which is not.
It's all about a balance of sweet, salt, spice, savory and good pork flavor in general. The rib is judged on it's own merits and is not compared to others. If the judge does his job correctly, any combination or lack of the above criteria are ignored and the rib is judged on it's own. I've given high scores to properly cooked ribs with only salt an pepper notes. KCBS MCBJ...