View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Duke View Post
I appreciate every response. I am one of those of the mindset; buy once, cry once so I don't mind spending the $$ on a Henckles but if the advantage isn't there to spend the extra, I'd rather not.
If it helps, Cooks Illustrated has done multiple tests over the years and the Victorinox always come out on top over the pricier brands.

From their most recent test:

During the past 20 years, we’ve conducted five chef’s knife evaluations. Those tests have covered dozens of blades in styles ranging from traditional, to innovative, to hybrid knives combining Western and Asian features. And at the end of every test, we’ve told the same story: One bargain knife has typically trounced the competition—including knives costing 10 times its price tag.

About the winner of the tests (the Victorinox Chefs knife)

Still the best—and a bargain—after 20 years, this knife’s “super-sharp” blade was “silent” and “smooth,” even as it cut through tough squash, and it retained its edge after weeks of testing. Its textured grip felt secure for a wide range of hand sizes, and thanks to its gently rounded edges and the soft, hand-polished top spine, we could comfortably choke up on the knife for “precise,” “effortless” cuts.
kevinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->