View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #59
Got Wood.

Originally Posted by aawa View Post
That sucks that your dad mocked you for wanting to do crafts and cook because they weren't "manly". Life skills such as cooking, sewing (at least be able to sew your own buttons and hem your own pants shouldn't be mocked. They are skills that will help you through life and i would think considered necessary.

And to those that think that you shouldn't teach your daughter to do "manly" things. Any quality time that you spend with your children is special. Who cares what you guys do as long as it is quality time. When she grows older she will remember the activities you too did together. You could play doll house tea-party with her, or wrench some gears, or bbq with her, she will always love the memories of what you bonded over.
The Point I was trying to make is that it is just as insulting to say something is manly as it is to say something isn't, defining something as masculine carries with it the implication that a man who doesn't do that activity is less of a man. or someone who does is more of a man.

I bbq because I like the flavor and texture and the smell of smoke, to me it is just another tool to cook with, like an oven or a frying pan. this is why I like my UDS so much, I just start it up and let it go, it is a well calibrated tool.

I don't feel like more of a man because I use fire to turn meat into food though.
Arristillius is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->