View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
unixadm
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks guys. It's slim pickings out here in CA for offset smokers. I have found several FEC100's, Weber's and such - however name brand offsets are not coming up very frequently.

I spent a couple more hours with the Lang 36 and it's very easy to control. A little wood and lump, kept it going. Threw that onion and some garlic in there and wow, it smelled so good on my patio. I figured I'd drink a hard cider and see what this "tending a fire" is all about.

Gotta say, I liked it.

That onion trick I read about being tested... it works!:

Tired ass me from two busy days of receiving, buying and selling smokers. Sold my Char Griller Akorn today after I got back with the Lang 36. Delivered it while I had the trailer. Shameless selfie:

I did some temperature checks and it seems the top grate runs about 25 degrees hotter than the bottom. The bottom has about a 70 degree differential from left to right, with the firebox side being significantly hotter. I'm going to see if I can build a deflector to help even the temps just a bit more, because I prefer to not move things around the chamber if I don't have to. Add that to the list of mods.

While the Lang may not have the prettiest welds, it does run pretty dang nice. I'm using a single damper and have a good idea where I'll need to end up if I build a fire like I did today going forward.

More pictures tomorrow after I give it a quick wire brush, a little sanding and a couple coats of paint.

Thanks from:--->