Thread: DO tell!
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #11

Originally Posted by 57borntorun View Post
Cast iron houses bacteria and potential off flavors when liquids are introduced and porcelain not.
There is a bit of truth here. If you store regular CI make sure to leave the lids cracked open. If too much oil is left behind, it can turn rancid and make for off flavors and smells. If I haven't used em in a while, I heat em up and give em a good wipe down and re oil or even fill with water and boil off the old oil. I keep em stored in the garage with a bit of newspaper rolled up to keep the lid cracked open and air flowing. My skillet stays in the house in the oven and gets used enough that I don't worry about the oil coating. Good quality CI shouldn't be porous and once a seal has been formed it's as good if not better than any non stick stuff out there. Just what I've read and experienced over the years with my CI.

Edit--just as with anything, there is very cheaply made and cast CI out there. I have seen some that actually was "pitted" and had hairline cracks, stay clear of that stuff. Not worth the money or the effort to season and use for generations to come. Pay for the good stuff, only cry once and know that you will be giving it to your kids and their kids and so on one day.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-02-2014 at 04:05 PM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->