View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #11644
is One Chatty Farker

O.K., just because I could. I decided to try directing the inlet air to under the coal basket to see if it makes any difference ( experiment) as some believe some of the inlet air bypasses the coal basket and cools the drum off. Also I wanted to be able to clean the ashes out easily so I wanted to be able to lift the coal basket and the inlet air channel in one full swoop. I added a second 1 1/2 pipe inlet next to one of my inlets so I could also check running at 700+ degrees with this set up. The inlets are directed to the edge of the coal basket ( decided not to go under the coal basket for this test). Bought some thin sheet metal at HD, used tin snips to rough trim to shape. Tack welded to the coal basket for easy removal. So over the next few months I will be seeing if this is a worthy add on or not. Or if it makes any difference at all.

Next Mod is adding a Weber lid knock off for added room.
So far today I ran at 250 for 5 hrs smoking veggies, garlic and smoking some tube steaks, tomorrow I'll see how much coal I used. Updates to follow.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." -- Will Rogers
***If you think this post is stupid, dumb, lame then don't read it. Nothing good to say? ....say Nothing and just move on to another post that you freakin like***
Always modifying my smokers, just another addiction.

Michigan Custom 'Que Team
ebijack is online now   Reply With Quote