View Single Post
Unread 12-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
ITBFQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Welcome to the forum! I have one of those smokers... it is the first one I bought - got it used on craigslist for $40. I have used it to make some pretty good q in my backyard. I made some of the mods to it that you have. I never run it with water in the pan, I just wrap the pan in foil and leave it in for a heat deflector. I've tried RO lump and KBB in it, and find that KBB works best.

The attached image is a charcoal basket that I made to use instead of that awful pan that comes with the smoker. I was really struggling with the smoker staying at temp until I made the basket. With it, it stays consistent (as consistent as it can be) and can go for a nice long burn. This summer, I took this smoker camping with us and was able to cook 6 racks of ribs and 2 yardbirds at the same time with no issues. I filled the basket with some KBB and a few pieces of apple and cherry, and it ran like a champ at 275. I did have to refill the basket about 3/4 of the way through with some more KBB, but at least the bottom door made it easy to get to.

By the way, that turkey of yours looks awesome! Great color!

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to tell you about the basket. I was about to toss the smoker to the scrap guys until I made the basket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charcoal basket.jpg (41.4 KB, 58 views)

Thanks from:--->