View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Ham botch and resurrection

Brer' Kazion and I scored a feral, domestic cross sow fo free. Well not entirely free, but the cost was only showing the fellow how to slaughter and fab out a market weight domestic. Ours was small and fat!. Kazion rendered out 2 1/2 quarts of lard! Anyway I took the hams, which weighed 6.8 lbs a piece and brined them ala Rytek Kutas' ham formulation. I questioned the salt content because the ham formulation called for more salt and cure than the Canadian bacon or cured butt formulation called for(both formulations were for 25lbs). I've done a ton of cured butts and CB but never a ham, so I rolled with the ham recipe.

Pumped to 10% green weight, covered and held in brine for seven days.

Hit the hams with black pepper, cayenne, and red pepper flakes

Did a snake Minion with a load at the end to cook them off

Brought them out at 150° F IT. The temps ran around 100°, then climbed to 120°-140° for around four hours, then hit the load at the end and cooked off at 250°ish. Hickory.
The botch part of the program was that I forgot to rinse the brine off before coating with the pepper, salty arse bark! The meat was, for me, still a bit too salty; I'll try the other formulation next time. The resurrection was a 12 hour soak. The ham was then pretty dang killer. Thanks fer listening, thanks fer lookin!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->