View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
2 things.....

First, do you always part out the tenderloin like that?
I assumed I'd just take it out of the cryo and trim the fat off and cook it. Do you see an issue with this? Do you use all the parts to cook the same? Just the "big ones"? If you don't cook the "chain" and "small end tip", what do you do with them?

Second, I'd considered an injection and honestly thought that I really wouldn't need it with this cut, but after reading your post, I may reconsider. I already have a pretty simple (but good) au jus, but I'd sure like to see yours. What
"jazzed up beef injection" would you suggest?

Thanks Wayne. As always.....GREAT advice.
The chain is a separate muscle, you can see it has a few more veins in it, and it's more marbled. It's no big deal to leave it on.... I just think the roast presents better without it. As far as the end, it's going to get overcooked, so I cut it off. I usually reserve the chain and end for stir fry, breakfast steak, or chicken fried steak. If you think at least three people like an end cut...., cut the roast in two pieces. You could also cook 1/2 the roast to rare and the other 1/2 to medium.

The injection just makes sure to get some beefy flavor in there, you are not cooking it long or to a high temp (like a brisket or chuck) so it should stay moist. I'm not saying tenderloin is bland but they don't have fat and a bone to give them as much flavor as we might expect. In a T-Bone or Porterhouse, the smallest muscle is the tenderloin, most folks love the tenderness of that muscle, and because the other side of the bone (the loin muscle) is flavorful, I don't think they notice the tenderloin flavor. You can inject before cooking and again during the cook (reserve some injection so you don't do cross contamination), and it doesn't take much.... just a couple of ounces.

My injection is pretty simple and I use the same thing for aujus, only I might dilute the portion I reserve for aujus with a little water. I also use it to reheat thin sliced beef for sandwiches.... French dip style.

~thirdeye~ Beefy Injection & AuJus

1-14 oz can Beef Consume
1 packet Lipton Beefy Onion Soup (dry mix)
1-1/2 of the soup can cold water (adjust with more if needed)
5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 splashes of Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
2 teaspoon Herb-OX beef bullion
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak rub
1 teaspoon Smokin’ Guns Rub (or another favorite)
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Bring ingredients to a low simmer in a saucepan, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Try to avoid having the liquid come to a boil. Additional water can be added if flavors are too strong, or if liquid gets too thick. AuJus is a thin table sauce, NOT a gravy. Pour through strainer to remove the onions and coarse pieces from the Montreal Steak rub. Serve warm

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->