View Single Post
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #11623
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
After months of reading "build a UDS" in every stinking thread, I broke down and made one. Managed to score a free unlined drum from work, borrowed a welder and went to town. I made 3 grate positions, even though I doubt the bottom one gets used much. I already have 5 22" OTS grills, so I figure grates will swap as needed. I used 2" long SS bolts to hold grates on, but on one of the 3 I used 1" bolts, and it allows instant grill pulls w/o removing any bolts if you're careful. Also, I made my diffuser as part of the basket, because I was trying to avoid extra holes. Diffuser and handle are removable of course. She gets seasoned in the AM, turkey at 2pm.

Thanks for lookin'

What a great looking drum. You do good work!
One question. why the diffuser over the coals? One beauty of the UDS is that is provides different methods of cooking, including convection and radiant heat. I also have bolts for a third rack in my UDS, just over the coals, and I can stick a tile or different sized pizza pans on the bottom one so it can be used as a diffuser if I need to limit the radiant heat for the longer cooks.
A Stok Tower grill
And, a gasser for the quick and dirty.
Sly-one is offline   Reply With Quote