View Single Post
Unread 11-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
ssv3
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORND4WG X View Post
Nice! I should have thought to spatchcock and hang instead of halve and hang. About what temp was your PBC running at and how long did it take? Mine was around 250 at grate level and took about 2hrs. (15lber). I wanted it to be hotter but that's where it settled in.
Thanks!

I was actually debating between spatchcocking or halving and once I prepped the bird (14lber) I knew I can get away with spatchcocking so I did. Going off the lid thermometer, it ran at 275* average as the PBC usually does and starting cooking way too fast (due to being spatchcocked IMO) so I dropped/closed the bottom intake which left a small crack to slow it down.

It ran about 225ish and and an hour before I planned to leave the house I opened up the bottom intake halfway(my set elevation position per PBC protocol). It jumped back up to 275+ with the help of cracking the lid open as well for about 5-7 mins to get the fire going then closing the lid.

So all in all with slowing it down it cooked for 5 hours. If you let it to it's thing as usual, I think spatchcocked it will be done in 3 to 3 1/2 hours for about a 15lber.

I did a whole 12 lber a while back as per Noah's instructions and it took about 4 hrs and temp running at 275 average.

Thanks from:--->