Finally got the bungholes open on the drum lid--using an old screwdriver as a punch and a hammer (a tip a couple brethren told me). I got the smaller bunghole off using a bare ratchet wrench.
Switched to the drum lid mid cook. Here's a pic of it now:
So the things that changed since last photo is that it has been burned out, seasoned with flax seed oil on the exterior, grate installed, thermo installed, and just now the drum lid put on. It's running at 350F with 7/8 hole in back fully open and one of the others half open. (I have the remaining one completely closed off.)
Oh btw, what I really like about the lid I got with this drum is that it is really convex (dome-like). This will keep sooty moisture from dripping on the meat :)