View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #287
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogwadd View Post
so I don't poison myself or my guests.

I received a fresh Butter Ball turkey last Wednesday from a friend for Thanksgiving. It's been sitting on the bottom shelf of my fridge (under 40degrees) through last night night when I pulled it out to apply a dry brine and seal it up in plastic. I'm going to unpack it and let it air dry Wed night.

Butterball says their fresh turkeys will survive unopened refrigerated through the sell by date (which is Dec 2).

I don't think I need to sweat it, but it's really bugging me. Am I overthinking this? My method's the same as last year, but I got that turkey much later and just a 2 day brine.
I do know that most "fresh" turkeys are actually technically not frozen, but they pretty much are, just not to as cold a temp as what is technically frozen. When you bought it was it stiff at all, like on the edge of frozen/thawed? If so, I wouldn't be worried about it sitting for a few more days in the refer.

If it was actually fresh and never frozen, I'd still likely trust the label on the bird from Butterball. If it says 12/2 and you're cooking it before the weekend, you should have nothing to worry about.

"Oh, I donít reject Christ. I love Christ. Itís just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->