View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
Put it in the bathtub and submerge it in some water.
^^^This - and change out the water several times. It sounds counterintuitive, but use cold water. I always defrost frozen items in a pot with a very small stream of cold water running into it, but obviously this can't really be done with a pig unless you got a big ole pot and sink! With the bathtub, you can fill it up, let it sit a while (maybe 1/2 hour to an hour?) drain it and start over. This would somewhat replicate the process of using a pot. It's probably worth mentioning I've never defrosted a whole pig - I'm just trying to adapt a method I've used successfully for other situations to this one.

I'd pay close attention whether or not the hams and shoulders in particular are frozen before cooking.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote