Grease your unit inside (i used bacon grease), do a break in burn at 250* for about four hours. Plan on around 1 hour/lb of KBB or K-Comp using a Guru, etc. and I think they'll hold 12-14 lbs of briqs.
I did my break-in burn w/o the Guru hooked up and predictably, it took forever to get to 250*. When it finally did (2 hours +), I went in for dinner; came out an hour later and she was screaming along at 525*!!
Initially lighting I use a 1/2 chimney of lit briqs. Takes awhile to cool off after you shut it down so alternatively a BIG hot ash can can be used to carefully empty the firebox if you have to.
A full hotel pan will slide right into the opening for the grease drain, just don't wait too long to empty it!
If you don't do anything else, do these: get a controller, spring for a cover, clean it up regularly and you'll be a happy camper! Congrats again!