View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Meat & Heat
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Being you are using game meat, I would highly suggest the use of Cure #1, especially so if you are considering grinding the meat. The curing agent will prevent any food-borne illnesses from the cold smoking process.

There are many commercial jerky mixes (IE: Hi-Mountian) that have a curing agent. Adding your own ingredients like Worcestershire or Soy Sauce, garlic powder, or red pepper.

I lightly freeze the meat and then slice at 1/8" on the meat slicer and set in 2 lb piles. Soak a few stacks in separate bags overnight, set on racks and dry until tacky. I then cold smoke for 2 hours using only an A-Maze-N Pellet smoker before turning the heat up to 110 to slowly dry the final product. I use whatever pellets on hand Apple/Cherry/Hickory and sometimes mixtures.

The other packages I keep refrigerated or frozen until time permits adding the curing liquid mixture 1 day before drying and smoking.

Cool each batch to room temperature after you have dried it out and Vac-seal into useable package sizes and distribute.
Plus 1 on all of this.
I have made a tone of venison jerky on a cheap Big Chief electric smoker.
Really love the High Mountain Jerky Cure tastes great and really easy to use.
Good luck.
Meat & Heat is offline   Reply With Quote