View Single Post
Unread 11-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
legendaryhog
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony69 View Post
What is cure#1? Hell no I'm not using the backstraps for jerky!!!! We just cut up a (220# hanging) buck & a 180#er. I'm doing about 10# this time but we have another week & 2 tags to fill plus bowhunting till the en of the year.
Cure #1 is salt and a small percentage (about 6.25%) sodium nitrite. The sodium nitrite prevents the nasty microorganisms from infecting your meat. You add a little bit to your "cure" or "brine" and it does the job. It also gives your cured meats that "hammy or bacon" taste. Try using Morton's Tender Quick if this is your first time. It is readily available at your grocer. Otherwise, you will probably have to order it off the internet, for example http://www.amazon.com/Instacure-Prag.../dp/B001UPRY1W

I seriously have seen people on the forum talking about making their backstraps into jerky....for shame! Those are some good sized bucks you got there. Good luck with the jerky.