My progression went like this:
- newspaper (lots of flaky ash that the wind would carry...didn't always light the charcoal well)
- newspaper coated in oil (still lots of flaky ash but did better at lighting the charcoal)
- paper towels soaked in oil (less ash and more fine...less prone to wind drifting)
- Weber starter cubes (I don't plan to stray from this...they work perfect every time, IME)
***** North Texas Brethren Bash - Spring 2015 - In Planning Now *****
- My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link
- Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG
w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Mini WSM (from SJS)
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
(Certificate of Authenticity
) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!