Thread: wood chunks
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettinit View Post
Is there also a test meat you guys/gals use to test new woods with?
Yes. I did tests with a couple chicken legs, a couple pork steaks, a couple salmon fillets, a couple burger patties, a couple tilapia fillets and a potato sliced in half. Smoke with the wood you want to try and no rub whatsoever. Enjoy one of each type of sample and label/freeze the other one. Take notes on what you liked or think worked best. When you have tried all of the woods that interest you, thaw the frozen samples, reheat them and then repeat the taste test side by side to confirm or reform your initial impressions. Take notes again on what worked best. Next time you want to smoke something, refer to your notes and decide what wood (or combination of woods) you want to use.

Things I learned: Whatever flavors cherries survives fire and carries over in the smoke to flavor the meat. That's the only wood I know that works that way. And cherry works really well with salmon.

Meat, fish and vegetables smoked with no seasoning can be surprisingly good! Before you get all wrapped up figuring out what rub is going to give you the flavor you want, know what you're starting with!

I can't tell how one meat will taste given the flavor of the smoke on another meat so I try all that interest me.

Thanks from:--->