View Single Post
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

I like country ham, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about what's too salty.

That said, the Ruhlman recipe is a good one for a pink salt cure IMO. I've had good success with it in the past. Throwing on some crushed bay leaves, garlic cloves, some cracked black pepper etc. certainly wouldn't hurt.

Fair warning - you probably won't go back to store bought after you do this. The stuff from the butcher case is good, but I definitely prefer home made bacon to any other that I've tried, esp. packaged bacon. Homemade just has better and deeper flavor IMO.

My current favorite recipe is cowgirl's (check out her blog if you haven't already - it's a treasure trove), but it uses Tenderquick. BTW I do soak out things I cure in TQ, and I don't soak out things I cure in Instacure. I have no idea if that's "right" or not, but it's been working for me. I do rinse the stuff I cure in Instacure and always let ham, bacon, etc. sit uncovered in the fridge at least overnight to form a pellicle.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->